micro fiction contest
Write a story
Win a Treefort pass
Open to all
2019 Contest guidelines will be available this coming october 2018. Stay tuned!
*See below for 2018 winners and contest guidelines.
Stonecrop is proud to collaborate with Storyfort, an integral branch of Treefort Music Fest held yearly in Boise, Idaho. As part of Treefort's annual tradition, Storyfort invites literary minds near and far to write, read, and enrich listeners with original works.
Winners of Storyfort's Micro Fiction Contest are published in the year's issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
Micro Fiction 2018 Winners
Congratulations to this year's winners!
First Place: Caitlin Bullock, "Colorwheeling"
Second Place: Gabrielle Nelson, "Gosling"
Third Place: Amy Burton, "Bad Reputation"
View these stories and more in the Stonecrop No. 01 gallery.
1. Stories must begin with one of the following first lines (omit artist and song title):
- "I don't give a damn about my bad reputation." ("Bad Reputation" Joan Jett)
- "When I was a young girl I used to see pleasure." ("When I Was a Young Girl" Nina Simone)
- "I don't think it's going to happen anymore." ("Twenty-One" The Cranberries)
- "Some things cost more than you realize." ("All I Need" Radiohead)
- "Eddie waited til he finished high school." ("Into the Great Wide Open" Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers)
2. Each entry must be between 300 and 500 words in length. Strictly enforced.
3. $5 reading fee for each entry; 3 entries max.
4. Each piece submitted must be a completely resolved and compelling story (in 300-500 words).
5. All submissions are anonymous. Name and contact details must not appear on the stories.
6. All judging is anonymous. The judges' verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
1st place: 5-day Treefort pass
2nd place: Weekend 2-day Treefort pass
3rd place: Storyfort shirt and SWAG
All winning submissions will be published in the year's issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
Winners are invited to read winning submissions on the final day of Storyfort.
* No submissions accepted from staff or organizers of Treefort Music Fest, Storyfort, Duck Club, or Stonecrop Magazine.