micro fiction contest 2019
Write a story
Win a Treefort pass
Open to all
Opens Oct. 27 AT 7:00pm
CLOSES MARCH 1 AT 11:59PM
Stonecrop is proud to collaborate with Storyfort, an integral branch of Treefort Music Fest held yearly in Boise, Idaho. As part of Treefort's annual tradition, Storyfort invites literary minds near and far to write, read, and enrich listeners with original works.
Winners of Storyfort's Micro Fiction Contest are published in the year's issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
1. Stories must begin with one of the following first lines (omit artist and song title):
"If it sounds right, I'll repeat it." ("I See My Mother" by Poliça)
"I'm a better woman than I have been." ("Better Things" by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings)
"It might be impractical to seek out a new romance." ("Will Do" by TV on the Radio)
"Where do bad folks go when they die?" ("Lake of Fire" by Meat Puppets)
"Lucy was 7 and wore a head of blue barrettes." ("No Regrets" by Aesop Rock)
2. Each entry must be between 300 and 500 words in length. Strictly enforced.
3. $5 reading fee for each entry; 3 entries max.
4. Each piece submitted must be a completely resolved and compelling story (in 300-500 words).
5. All submissions are anonymous. Name and contact details must not appear on the stories.
6. All judging is anonymous. The judges' verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
1st place: 5-day Treefort pass
2nd place: Weekend 2-day Treefort pass
3rd place: Storyfort shirt and SWAG
All winning submissions will be published in the year's issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
Winners are invited to read winning submissions on the final day of Storyfort.
* No submissions accepted from staff or organizers of Treefort Music Fest, Storyfort, Duck Club, or Stonecrop Magazine.
Micro Fiction 2018 Winners
First Place: Caitlin Bullock, "Colorwheeling"
Second Place: Gabrielle Nelson, "Gosling"
Third Place: Amy Burton, "Bad Reputation"
View these stories and more in the Stonecrop No. 01 gallery.