micro fiction contest 2019
Write a story
Win a Treefort pass
Open to all
COngratulations to the 2019 Contest winners!
1st Place: Joseph Sigurdson, “Staying Afloat”
2nd Place: Matt Naylor, “Dead Dogs and Swimming Pools”
3rd Place: John Barrie, “The Hunt”
Stonecrop is proud to collaborate with Storyfort, an integral branch of Treefort Music Fest held yearly in Boise, Idaho. As part of Treefort's annual tradition, Storyfort invites literary minds near and far to write, read, and enrich listeners with original works.
Winners of Storyfort's Micro Fiction Contest are published in the year's issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
This year’s Entries will be judged
by Storyfort guest
As featured in The New York Times, Reema Zaman is an award-winning author, speaker, and actress, and the 2018 Oregon Literary Arts Writer of Color Fellow. Born in Bangladesh, raised in Thailand, and presently residing in Oregon, she holds a double BA in Gender Studies and Theater from Skidmore College. Her wildly acclaimed memoir I Am Yours will be released February 5, 2019. Beloved by all communities, all ages, all genders, I Am Yours has already been adopted into the curriculum for several high schools through an Innovation Grant from the Oregon Department of Eduction.
1. Stories must begin with one of the following first lines (omit artist and song title):
"If it sounds right, I'll repeat it." ("I See My Mother" by Poliça)
"I'm a better woman than I have been." ("Better Things" by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings)
"It might be impractical to seek out a new romance." ("Will Do" by TV on the Radio)
"Where do bad folks go when they die?" ("Lake of Fire" by Meat Puppets)
"Lucy was 7 and wore a head of blue barrettes." ("No Regrets" by Aesop Rock)
2. Each entry must be between 300 and 500 words in length. Strictly enforced.
3. $5 reading fee for each entry; 3 entries max.
4. Each piece submitted must be a completely resolved and compelling story (in 300-500 words).
5. All submissions are anonymous. Name and contact details must not appear on the stories.
6. All judging is anonymous. The judges' verdict is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
1st place: 5-day Treefort pass
2nd place: Weekend 2-day Treefort pass
3rd place: Storyfort shirt and SWAG
All winning submissions will be published in the year's issue of Stonecrop Magazine.
Winners are invited to read winning submissions on the final day of Storyfort.
* No submissions accepted from staff or organizers of Treefort Music Fest, Storyfort, Duck Club, or Stonecrop Magazine.
Micro Fiction 2018 Winners
First Place: Caitlin Bullock, "Colorwheeling"
Second Place: Gabrielle Nelson, "Gosling"
Third Place: Amy Burton, "Bad Reputation"
View these stories and more in the Stonecrop No. 01 gallery.